9 Aug 2009

Beach fishing at Seaton, Devon (in the rain!)

It was off to Devon to try Seaton for a day’s fishing, it had good reports online, I had local knowledge of all the places to park and get food, the forecast looked good too. All was set for a cracking day!

Alas the weather was the exact opposite of what we had expected, it absolutely poured down with rain. Here you can see Neil trying to put his tent up in driving rain, luckily I had put mine up as soon as I got there, fearing the worst! So all my stuff was lovely and dry!

IMG_8849

Dave too was caught out with the rain, but was ok putting his tent up in a flash, although the outer was not waterproof so the rain came through and ran along the groundsheet inside.

IMG_8850

What no fishing? My rod didn’t even have a hook on it! I couldn’t see for all the rain on my glasses, and without them I couldn’t get it in the hole!! ;-)

IMG_8851

Neil struggles to put his tent up in the pouring rain, luckily my forward planning allowed me to sit back and enjoy the failed first attempt of putting his tent up, and I was so dry too.

IMG_8852

There was no stopping Dave, rain or shine. I’m my excitement of gloating to be dry I had forgotten my chair was out and it was soaked!!!!

IMG_8853

Lovely spot, shame about the weather really.

IMG_8854

Dave was dressed for the occasion, and was first away with rod in water.

IMG_8855

I did come out of my tent to pose for a photo, I don’t think I have a hook on my line at this point!

IMG_8856

IMG_8857

IMG_8858

This was 2pm, not 9pm as it looks in the picture!

IMG_8859

Neil was happy no matter what the weather, here is setting up his rig.

IMG_8860

My parents popped along to say hello with their dog, Neil and Dad spent ages talking about the past and places in London/Kent they knew!

IMG_8862

Mum had done us a lovely home made pasty thing but left it at home, I kept thinking about that all day. She should have kept quiet!

IMG_8863

Here’s me with the parents, and the dog “MacGregor”.

IMG_8864

IMG_8865

Neil left disappointed by the pasty that was left at my parents house was resorting to desperate measures, a bloody large rag worm. Still there’s no Russian roulette with the gristle on one of those!

IMG_8866 My dad managed to pull in a crab! That explained why our hooks were always bait free when we reeled in!! Bloody things!

IMG_8868

IMG_8869

IMG_8870

My Dad was getting into it at this point, now he wants a rod and reel too. He quite enjoyed himself, much to my Mum’s pleasure as it meant she might get him out the house for a bit!

IMG_8871

IMG_8872

Catch of the day, DT pulls in a whopping mackerel, well it was a fish, maybe not whopping, but better than anyone else was doing!

IMG_8873

The fish catch gave Neil a big boost in morale, if only we knew then another 6 hours would pass without incident!

IMG_8874 IMG_8875

Fishing was abandoned for Chinese takeaway on the beach, luckily I had the plates and forks to make it a rather civilized occasion.

IMG_8876

IMG_8877

With all the colours on my tent and umbrella it looked like I was flying the rainbow flag for gay fisherman!

IMG_8878

Got ya you bastard, after 10 minutes of pulling this line in I caught a crab, we should have tagged the one we chucked back earlier! I bet it was the same one!

IMG_8879

Camp Gaylord was looking a mess at this point, crap everywhere and the sun was setting!

IMG_8880

Bastard crab!

IMG_8881

IMG_8882

Neil couldn’t resist the artsy shots again!

IMG_8883

IMG_8884

IMG_8885

IMG_8886

IMG_8887

So the evening came to a close… fish count 1 crab count 2

Until the next big fish, be lucky all you fishermen, and maybe just maybe we will post something worth reading in the next trip !!

No comments: