8 Nov 2009

A Long & Cold Winter’s Night at Chesil Beach

It was time to give Chesil Beach a second chance, after a miserable fruitless experience in the so called summer months where the 3 of us all blanked (excluding a couple of miserable mackerels) we decided to give it a go on a nice winters afternoon and evening.

Unfortunately Dave Thurlow couldn’t make it because of having a bad back, so the threesome this time was made up by myself, Neil Bedford (aka Neilboy) and Andy Miles.

We arranged to meet at the Chesil Beach car park (near FerryBridge) at 3pm. Well it never happened as I was running late, and banged my head on the boot (as the gas struts on the rear are faulty on my poxy Mondeo!). It left me with a lump and seeing stars!

So at about 16:30 we arrived at Chesil Beach, just as the sun was dissapearing, exactly what we didn’t want as we needed to see the lay of the land so to speak before sunset.

There were alot of fisherman about, but we found a spot not too far from the car park, even though we had to climb a massive shingle bank first!

We set about putting the gear out, before making the return trip to the car to collect the rest of the gear!

IMG_9621

As you can see Camp Gaylord makes a return to the beach, not really much use as it was soaking wet from condensation by 11pm! But it would have kept the stuff dryish I guess!

IMG_9620

Neil as usual grinning like a simpleton, looking forward to the night of fishing ahead!

IMG_9625

New team recruit Andy is already suited up for the cold weather, if only I had done the same at such an early stage then maybe I wouldn’t have been so cold in the early hours of the morning! Hindsight, marvellous!!

IMG_9622

IMG_9623IMG_9624  

First catch of the night went to Neil with his first cast on his brand new Daiwa bass rod and reel! Blinding result, a nice Whiting! Caught on lugworm. Weight just over 1lb.

IMG_9628

IMG_9627

Fish number two for Neil! Andy and myself, sitting at zero!

IMG_9629  IMG_9631

Fish number one for Andy, he didn’t even have time to finish his roll up! Oh and still nothing for me :-(

IMG_9636 IMG_9631

Neil catches another Whiting!

IMG_9632  IMG_9634 IMG_9635

This is it then! Neil’s first cod! Caught on his Daiwa Bass rod, Neil was over the moon about his first cod. Another one to the species list!

IMG_9630

Above is Andy’s fish, not Neil’s! Still nothing for me!

Sunday night turned into Sunday morning, and the weather was beautiful, but without any clouds in the sky it was freezing cold!

I feel asleep around about 2am, but it was so cold that the feeling of pain in my feet kept waking me up!

IMG_9638    IMG_9647IMG_9640 IMG_9639IMG_9641 IMG_9642 IMG_9643  IMG_9645 IMG_9646 IMG_9644

Above are various shots from the night’s fish catches, Andy did rather well especially as he didn’t get any sleep at all!

It was about this point I put my fishing suit into good use as a walking sleeping bag and snuggled down into the hood to catch 2 hours sleep!

No comments: